Wednesday, January 21, 2015

After Christ, the best defense against the Devil

The chief remedy against the Devil is to have recourse to the Virgin Mary.
                                                 - St. John of Avila (+ 1569)

O my sovereign Lady, delight of my soul, heavenly dew quenching my burning thirst, liquid flowing from God into my parched heart, bright light in the midst of my soul's darkness, guide of my poor judgment, strength of my weakness, covering of my nudity, treasure of my poverty, remedy for incurable wounds, wiper away of tears, end of sighs, reverser of misfortunes, lightener of grief, loosener of my bonds, my hope of salvation, listen to my prayers, have mercy on my sighs, and reject not my lamentations; have mercy on me, and may my tears move thee; be moved by thine own feeling of compassion towards me, who art the Mother of God, the lover of men, hear and grant my prayers, fulfill my petition.
                                                 -St. Germanus

No comments:

Post a Comment